Sun exposure in childhood and adolescence greatly increases the chances of developing skin cancer later in life.
The SunSmart Centres program aims to minimise exposure to UV radiation from the sun during early childhood development.
Check our SunSmart Centres listing to find out if your centre is a current SunSmart Centre. If your membership is close to expiry (or has already expired) please renew your membership.
Why become a SunSmart Centre?
The Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority’s National Quality Standard requires all childcare services to have a sun protection policy. Early childhood centres have a duty of care to minimise children’s exposure to the sun and provide an environment that encourages sun protection behaviours.
The SunSmart Centres program assists childcare centres to develop and maintain sun protection policies and put them into action.
Joining the SunSmart Centres program demonstrates a commitment to securing the future health and well-being of children and staff.
SunSmart Centres comply with the following minimum standards:
- A sun protection policy is implemented whenever the UV Index reaches 3 or above
- All children and staff wear a broad brimmed, legionnaire or bucket hat when outside
- The use of SPF 30 or higher broad spectrum water resistant sunscreen is required
- Sun protective clothing is required
- Play experiences about sun protection are included in the education program
- The sun protection policy is reflected in the planning of all outdoor events
- Outdoor experiences are rescheduled, whenever possible, to minimise time outdoors when the UV Index is 8 and above
- The centre has sufficient shade or is working towards increasing shade in the outdoor play space
- The centre reviews its sun protection policy regularly
- SunSmart Centres will be reassessed every three years to confirm sun protection practices
To register or learn more about the SunSmart Centres program visit generationsunsmart.com.au.
For more information please email email@example.com or call (08) 9212 4333.