With the high rates of skin cancer in Western Australia, Cancer Council WA is always looking for innovative and engaging ways to encourage people to protect themselves from the sun.
Many people believe that solar UV radiation is only significant when the weather is hot, however the reality is that in Western Australia, the UV levels can be high enough to cause damage most of the year. What is needed is a way to know at what time of day UV levels are high and low and when sun protection becomes necessary each day.
This has led Cancer Council WA to design a UV meter for use as a reminder about when to cover up in the
sun. It provides an accurate, minute by minute reading of solar UV radiation for the location. Designed with its own UV sensor, it reports the UV using the World Health Organization’s UV index which is a measure of UV strength and skin damage risk.
UV Meters in the Community
- City of Melville, Deep Water Point, Mount Pleasant, WA
- St Hilda’s Anglican Girls School, Mosman Park, WA
- Christ Church Grammar School, Claremont, WA
- Peter Moyes Anglican School, Mindarie, WA
- Peter Carnley Anglican School, Wellard, WA
- Singleton Primary School, Singleton, WA
- Surfing WA Headquarters, Trigg Beach, WA
- Edith Cowan University, Mt Lawley Campus, WA
- Presbyterian Ladies College Senior School, Peppermint Grove, WA
- Presbyterian Ladies College Junior School, Peppermint Grove, WA
- St Marks Anglican Community School, Hillarys, WA
- South Lake Primary School, South Lake, WA
- Moolanda Care & Learning Centre, Kingsley, WA
- Christmas Island District High School, Christmas Island
- City of Rockingham, Secret Harbour, WA
- HBF Arena, Venues West, WA
- SGS Australia, Cooper Basin, SA
- Padbury Catholic Primary School, Padbury, WA
- Skinspots Skin Cancer Clinic, Mt Maunganui, Tauranga. New Zealand
- Dee Why Child Care, Dee Why, NSW
- Cathedral College, Wangaratta, VIC
- Wynnum State School, Wynnum, QLD
- Settlers Primary School, Baldivis, WA
UV Meters on the internet
Cancer Council UV meters connect to the internet. This allows for the recording of historic UV data as well as real time monitoring of the live UV level. See www.myuv.com.au . Cancer Council can also remotely calibrate the meters to ensure ongoing accuracy.
UV meters are connected to the internet either via Wi-Fi or 3G networks.
UV Meters in schools
Schools will find these a valuable tool to support their existing sun smart policy. Meters remove any confusion about when children need to wear their hats and apply sunscreen. Data from the meters is downloadable and useful in education programs including maths, IT and science.
UV Meters in the workplace
If you have staff who work out doors, a UV meter is an ever changing reminder of the need for them to be careful in the sun. Unlike static signs which become “invisible” after a while, the UV meter retains attention because it changes throughout the day. It creates interest and conversation about the sun.
Getting a UV Meter for Your Community
Cancer Council UV meters are available to purchase now. They are designed for the outdoors, and are robust and weatherproof.
The large display digits let people know the current UV level, and this simple signage indicates what sun protection is required.Our standard UV meters are single sided; the display digits are fitted to one side of the meter. However if you would like a meter installed on a pole or other free standing structure, digits can be mounted on both sides of the meter. Once installed the UV meter requires very little maintenance other than a superficial clean. There are no ongoing service fees paid to Cancer Council to calibrate the meters.
For more information about the UV meters please download our free product guide.
To purchase a UV meter, please print out and complete the attached order form, and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
UV meters are available in either single sided display units, or double sided display units.
They are also available in other WIFI or 3G versions. To work out which version is most suitable for you, please download our WIFI or 3G fact sheet below.
The single sided UV meters, in either Wi-Fi or 3G cost $3399+GST.
The double sided UV meters, in either Wi-Fi or 3G cost $3950+GST.
Freight costs are dependant on location and can be confirmed upon completion of an order form.
For more information, please contact us at email@example.com or on (08) 9388 4360.